The History of Putson Manor and The Coach House


  Putson Manor was originally the Palace of the first Bishop of Hereford, Bishop Putta, 670 AD. Putta's Ton (dwelling) became Putterston and eventually Putson. The present house is thought to stand on the site of the original house which extended out towards the river. The Coach House is probably of a date even later than the main part of Putson Manor which was built at the end of the sixteenth
century.

King Harold 1022-1066

Hereford 1600. Putson Manor and The Coach House can be seen on the lower right part of the view on the opposite side of the river to the walled city of Hereford.

In the old court records of the city there is an entry about 1612 stating that a man fell into the river near the Manor House of Putson Mynor and was drowned - "The body was viewed by twelve persons, including Richard Clements, gent of the Manor House, also by Roger Pugh, butcher, he know most."

By the Second World War The Coach House was being used as a garage for motors of the manor house and had a working inspection pit beneath where the sitting room is.

It was converted into a two-bedroomed cottage in the 1960s, and later re-renovated in 2007.




 

 

 


  Home | Location| Accommodation | Gardens | History | Local amenities | Contact us | Booking